Peppermint Bark Directions
1. Line a 9×13″ baking sheet with wax paper.
2. Crush candy canes in a ziplock bag until there is an even mix of small and medium-sized pieces.
3. Begin to heat about 1″ of water on the stove in a medium pot. Once the water reaches a simmer, place a heatproof bowl on top of the pot, creating a double boiler.
4. Add dark or semi-sweet chocolate to the bowl and stir until it is fully melted and smooth. Make sure to stir often and scrape the sides so that the chocolate doesn’t burn!
5. Once the chocolate is nicely melted, remove it from the heat and pour onto the lined baking sheet. Spread the chocolate into an even layer with a spatula.
6. Put the baking sheet into the freezer for about 5 minutes to set.
7. While the first layer is setting, begin to heat the white chocolate over the double boiler the same as the dark chocolate.
8. Once the white chocolate is almost completely melted, add the peppermint extract and mix very well to combine fully.
9. Pour the melted white chocolate on top of the frozen dark chocolate and smooth with a spatula until it completely covers the first layer.
10. Quickly sprinkle the crushed candy cane pieces over the entire bark before the chocolate sets into place.
11. Place the bark into the freezer for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
12. Once the bark is fully frozen, remove from the freezer and break into pieces.